|Luisa Toffoloni Mariani decided to set up the Pierfranco Mariani Foundation in memory of her husband following the advice of Renato Boeri, an eminent neurologist and the clinical and scientific director of the “Carlo Besta” Neurological Institute where she had been an active volunteer.
The Organization was registered on 18 June 1984 with an endowment of 400 million lire.
When the founder, Luisa, died, her husband’s name was added to hers in the final version of the Foundation's name, to express permanent gratitude to both benefactors.
The progress made by the Foundation in the field of child neurology through the three selected areas – Services, Training and Research, to which later on was added International Cooperation – was marked by certain fundamental milestones:
• Recognition by the Region of Lombardy of the official legal status on 14 January 1985;
• Legal recognition at national level, in 2001 (No. 72 in the Register for Legal Persons);
• Certification as ECM credit provider (Continuing Medical Education) by the Italian Health Ministry, in 2002;
• Certification of compliance with ISO 9001:2000 Quality Standard for Training and Research, in 2005;
• Constitution of the Mariani C.A.R.E. Foundation Onlus, in 2008;
• First private entity to join the founding members of the Neurological Institute "Carlo Besta" Foundation in Milan, in 2009;
• Certification of compliance with ISO 9001:2008 Quality Standard for Training and Research, in 2009.
The Pierfranco and Luisa Mariani Foundation is now recognized as a leading reference organization in the field of child neurology in Italy and worldwide.