Publications / John Libbey Eurotext
New diagnostic and therapeutic tools in child neurology
Pubblicazione conseguente al XXII Corso di aggiornamento in Neurologia infantile (Genova, marzo 2010)
Editors: E. Mercuri, E. Fedrizzi, G. Cioni
London-Paris, John Libbey Eurotext Ltd, 2011, pp. 140
This book provides a comprehensive review and update of the newest diagnostic and therapeutic tools in paediatric neurology. Special attention is paid to neuroradiologic and neurophysiologic techniques and to their clinical application, with guidelines and suggestions on how an integrated approach can be used to reach diagnosis. Some of the chapters focus on the newborn infant and the first years of life, highlighting the most appropriate MRI, clinical, and EEG techniques to investigate the developing brain. State-of-the-art techniques used in older children are also presented that afford a better understanding of the correlation between function and brain structure in young patients with brain lesions. New genetic discoveries are particularly emphasized, as is the possibility of performing accurate phenotype–genotype correlation by combining the latest methods, such as muscle MRI and genetic information, in order to identify MRI patterns associated with specific genetic disorders. In all chapters an effort is made to combine technical data with clinical applications in order to show, when possible, how these novel procedures can also be used in rehabilitation. This book will be of interest to paediatricians, paediatric neurologists, neonatologists, and to all those who are involved in the diagnosis and care of children with neurologic disabilities.
1) Effect of treatment of subclinical neonatal seizures detected with aEEG: randomized, controlled trial – L.G.M. van Rooij, M.C. Toet, L.S. de Vries et al.
2) Neurologic assessment and cerebral MRI in preterm infants – L. Lugli, I. Guidotti, N. Bertoncelli and F. Ferrari
3) Neuroimaging techniques: general concepts – Luca A. Ramenghi
4) Diffusion MR techniques to study the neonatal brain – N. Tusor, S. Counsell and M. Rutherford
5) Visual development: new tools for assessment in the neonatal period – D. Ricci, D. Romeo and E. Mercuri
6) Brain transcranial stimulation: diagnostic and therapeutic applications – F. Ranieri, P. Profice, V. Di Lazzaro et al.
7) High-density electroencephalography – G. Avanzini and F. Panzica
8) Diagnosis of auditory processing disorders – E. Genovese, M. Vallarino, M.C. Guarnaccia and D. Monzani
9) Muscle MRI: phenotype–genotype correlation – E. Mercuri, F. Bianco, G. Vasco and M. Pane
10) Functional MRI in children: clinical applications – A. Zsoter and M. Staudt
11) Clinical and instrumental assessment of the upper limb in cerebral palsy – G. Sgandurra and G. Cioni
12) Robotics and rehabilitation: new perspectives – S. Mazzoleni, P. Dario and M.C. Carrozza